This past December, Uriel and I had originally planned on driving out to Denver for New Years. He has family there and I have an obsession with mountains (I live in the freakin’ midwest). Unfortunately, we couldn’t make this happen. Literally the weekend after Christmas, we decided we were gonna make the drive up to Toronto instead.
We left home around 8pm the night before New Years Eve.. only thinking about trying to make it to Toronto as early as possible, only to be stuck in Dairy Queen parking lot at 2am, waiting for the ferry to Canada to open at 6am. After finally making it into Canada, we still had about 3 hours until we reached Toronto. I spent most of that asleep.

After spending over 12 hours in the car, including we were definitely eager to get out and stretch our legs. As soon as we got all checked in and found a lot to park the van (we paid around 25 dollars to leave our car, with in and out privileges until the next day!) we got all settled in and took a nap.
After getting some rest, we decided to explore and walk around the city.
We walked down Queen Street West and ended up at Toronto Eaton Centre which had probably the biggest Sephora I’ve ever seen in my entire life. The place was so packed with people, I didn’t even end up walking out with any purchases.
We grabbed a bite to eat at their food court on the lowest level. Uriel’s mom and little sister chose ramen while we chose burgers (we are officially fans of gorgonzola).
We decided to make our way back to the hotel so we could rest up a little bit before we counted down to midnight at Nathan Phillips Square.
This was City Hall just after the sun went down.
Our hotel is right around the corner from the CN Tower, so we decided to be extra touristy.
As much as I wish I was a daredevil.. I was pretty much freaking out over the glass floor (I still haven’t been up on the sky deck at the Sears Tower). I almost cried……. To take that picture, I seriously couldn’t look down or I think I probably would’ve had a panic attack.
After nap number 2, we made our way to Nathan Philips Square around 11pm.
We counted down to the New Year right there at the square and queue the firework show! …..Which I don’t have any pictures of… haha whoops.
After ringing in the new years, we headed back to the hotel and went to bed. The next morning, we decided to take the long way home and pass through Niagara Falls. Before we left Toronto, we couldn’t leave without taking a trip to Poutini’s! How can you say no to fries covered in gravy and topped with cheese curds? And in my case, covered with bacon and sour cream as well! The answer is you can’t say no. You just can’t.
Also we made a pitstop and I grabbed some Tim Hortons. I know, I know.. there’s Tim Hortons in the states, but along with poutine, I couldn’t pass it up in Canada. Not to mention, I had the most delicious Red Velvet muffin.
I don’t know why, but I kind of imagined that the falls would be pretty empty considering it was kind of a bleak day, also it was pretty chilly and I mean, it was New Years. Aren’t most people hungover and tired? Haha, but it was actually pretty packed.
None of us have ever been to Niagara Falls so despite the cold weather, it was definitely my most favourite part of the trip.
Before we set off for our trip back home, we stopped by a souvenir shop and picked up a ton of gifts for friends and family back home and yes, I got maple syrup 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s